Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Long Live the Queen

Every nuclear family has it's own dynamics. Every extended family also has it's own dynamics and dimensions. In my family, or rather my moms side of the family,I feel there is a matriarch. That matriarch is my Aunt Nelda. Excuse me, my GREAT Aunt Nelda.

Nelda has been a tremendous asset and wonderment to my life. She is the one who promises treats, adventure, and relaxation. I know she has a strong personality. (Hence her title of The Queen). All parents and mothers can cause you to laugh, cry, and drive you a bit crazy. "Nellie" can do this to great effectiveness to my cousins. The reason I bring up Aunt Nelda right now is The Broom.

While with my cousins over the years and in the presence of Aunt Nelda. I have come to understand that there is a right way, and wrong way to do things. (her way is always right, naturally) There is also the way it was done in her day. In Aunt Nelda's day you kept your house clean. You swept the floor every night after dinner.

Now, I am somewhat ashamed to admit. I am not as clean as Aunt Nelda. (or my mother for that matter) Even with the dog hair I did not sweep as often as I should. But now I find myself in the position of holding a broom each night as I keep the house clean in order to sell it. I sweep, swiffer, and vacuum each day. The broom is my sword and scepter. I may even become Queen. I don't want to be Queen. I think when things are all said and done I will hand my broom as a trophy to someone else and wish them well. Perhaps, my sister Gayle. hmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment