Monday, September 13, 2010

Tennesse Twang

Here I am in Tennessee. The feel of it is quite similar to Delaware and also quite different. It is in some ways a new and strange land. An example of this, is the accents, or as it is sometimes called that "southern drawl". Of course I do not have one, nor do I intend to get one, but one thing I am truly having fun learning is some southern lingo.

It all started with the term "Tennessee Talker". As I am a self described "Chatty Cathy", this term intrigued me. Some definitions are,"If you have a 10 minute conversation with every check out person, you're a Tennessee Talker" or "If you talk to the people in line ahead or in back of you, you're a Tennessee Talker". I soon realized I fit into this idea very well.

Other terms and phrases have been making me chuckle. I now have a Tennessee friend on the hunt for southern phrasing, she sits and when we talk she smiles and tosses out little gems so she can make me crack up. I don't think I have a favorite yet but here are a few. "Butter my Butt and Call me a Biscuit!", "He's crazier than a sprayed roach." and "He's uglier than homemade LYE soap." Also, apparently if you try to do something or see someone and can't "it's a miss". As in, "I went to get my favorite fruit at the farmer market but farmer Joe was a miss." I know more of these phrases and terms will keep coming. I'm "a fixin'" to collect them and put them in a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment