Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Is the UU for Me Me?

Our family went to church again this Sunday. We went back to the Unitarian Universalist Church. It is a very nice church. It is only 5 minutes away. The space is bright and open. The chairs are comfortable. This is an important feature for my husband. We once visited a church which had no leg space. He told me he really hoped I had not liked it. He could never sit for services there, it was TOO uncomfortable. I told him that the discomfort was God's way of making him move around and be sure to keep his attention on the sermon.

Needless to say this church is friendly and of a good size. I find it surprising due to where we live now, along the Bible Belt. You see the Unitarians believe many values that our previous church also did. They are a Welcoming Congregation (for all you UCC people this means Open and Affirming). They not only are Welcoming but are indeed very active in the support of BGLT people. (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered people) They have a mission to support each person's unique path to spiritual growth, celebrate life and support each other with respect and compassion, serve the larger community and work for a just and environmentally responsible society, and of course welcome ALL in the journey.

What is not to like?

There is no cross. I don't need a crucifix but maybe a cross. Will there be a Christmas tree? or Christmas carols? (We did sing "Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee" this week. That is one of my favorite hymns.) The sermon while faithful and speaks of God has not been, and naturally would not be based on scripture. I miss these things. But how much?

This church has 12 Religious Education Teachers. The Religious Director and Committee Chair -DON'T TEACH. They have 2 people in the rooms without a problem! They will have Our Whole Lives Education for my children. I can (but haven't yet) participate on committees and programs without much trouble. You need me to make dinner for the homeless we are hosting for Family Promise? Sure, I will bring it right to you. They are so close this could be done easily.

My brother once told me, people select child care based on 3 things: Quality, Cost, and Proximity/Convenience. I have found myself applying these principle to my search for a new church home. I think this church has the qualities I like, and the proximity. I am still struggling with if I am comfortable with the cost. The loss of the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment